Thursday, September 07, 2006

Lautoka & Suva

The game show hostess - one of the toughest gigs going. Every Monday without fail, they are asked what they did on the weekend. It is in their contract that they must have done at least three perky, upbeat activities - rollerblading, art openings are on the agenda. One day one will say that they had PMS and stayed in bed with a hot water bottle. I will salute them. So when I say that we haven't been up to much I think I need to learn the game show hostesses art of spin...

There has been the unusual - being delayed from reaching the bar because we had to get rid of the fish that had jumped into the dinghy.

There has been movement - we motored from Musket Cove to Saweni Bay near Lautoka. Didn't sink. I held the helm for the first time in 8 years and didn't hit anything.

Freddie has also managed to get a 2 year visa to Australia. We're back from a 2 day trip to Suva to pick up the visa - it's a looooooong way. 4 hours on a bus each way. There were movies though and they made it seem like 5 hours. If ever you get the chance to see a Billy Zane movie with Robert Downey Junior in it - run like the wind.

Fiji is a little wacky - there is a certain element of Britishness - lots of pictures of the Queen and Phil the Greek in their 50's in all the official buildings. Lots of Indian restaurants with names like The Jolly Good Cafe. It's a bit boy scout. Lovely people, with charm though - everyone wants to know where we are from and to shake our hand.

We're all stocked up and about to head North to the Yasawa islands. We have an aim to avoid coral atolls. Don't tell Grandma. As she has pointed out already about this trip. I DON'T LIKE IT - IT'S NOT SAFE. I DON'T LIKE IT WHEN YOU GO ON BOATS.

Must go - the Swedish Chef has just asked me how I like my steak.

xxx

Jenny

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blazey J,

As I haul up the venetian blinds here in chilly old M-town, I think of you pulling up the sail or mast or whatever boaty equivalent.

If the seas get choppy, grab that vodka, vermouth and olive, sling in a glass and let the waves shake and stir it just so.

Ahoy me hearties!

10:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home